WHEREAS, the Governor of the state of Maryland issued Executive Order 20-03-30-01 on March 23, 2020 in response to the COVID 19 health crisis requiring the closure of all non-essential businesses, limiting in-person gatherings to less than 10 people, encouraging social distancing, and requiring all residents to stay at home unless it’s for an essential job or an essential reason such as obtaining food or medicine, seeking urgent medical attention or for other necessary purpose
WHEREAS, the MPEC constitution calls for an election of officers in odd number years, and the 2020 MPEC officer election was scheduled and that schedule was communicated to the membership prior to the health crisis as follows:
1. Nomination Notice goes out Monday, March 23, 2020
2. Nominations closes at 4:30 pm on April 15, 2020 and must be returned to MPEC
3. Nominations will be tallied on April 16, 2020 at a predetermined location chosen by the election committee team. 4. Candidates must accept nominations by April 17, 2020.
5. Ballots will be mailed out on April 24,2020 and must be returned to MPEC by May 20, 2020.
6. Ballots will be counted on May 21, 2020 at noon at the MPEC office
WHEREAS, it would impracticable to hold the 2020 election as scheduled during this extraordinary and unexpected COVID 19 health crisis in compliance with the Governor’s Executive Order and in accordance with guidance from the nation’ and world’s leading health authorities because certain stages of the scheduled process would require members to leave their home or gather with a group of people;
WHEREAS, the Article VI Section2 of the MPEC constitution provides that the Executive Board shall be the governing body of the MPEC between meetings of the MPEC membership
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, the 2020 MPEC election is hereby postponed and the following new schedule is set:
1. Nomination Notice goes out April 27, 2020
2. Nominations closes at 4:30 pm on May 20, 2020 and must be returned to MPEC
3. Nominations will be tallied on May 21, 2020 at a predetermined location chosen by the election committee team.
4. Candidates must accept nominations by May 22, 2020
5. Ballots will be mailed out on June 1, 2020 and must be returned to MPEC by July 1, 2020.
6. Ballots will be counted on July 13, 2020 at noon at the MPEC office
These changes are in response to the unique and extraordinary health crisis, and shall be used for this election only;
RESOLVED, the Executive Board, as the governing body of MPEC and acting in the interests of members’ health and safety, reserves the right to reassess this schedule depending on how the COVID 19 health crisis, federal and state legal requirements, and health and safety guidance by the appropriate federal and state authorities changes.
RESOLVED, this resolution shall be distributed to all members of MPEC eligible to vote in the 2020 election.